[full article] - PDF (language - ukrainian)
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
A DICTIONARY AS A FORM OF PHILOSOPHICAL LEXICON COMPILATION
The article reviews and summarizes the practice of a philosophical lexicon compilation. The example of English-language philosophical dictionaries of different types is used. The main problems that can appear in the process of dictionary writing are described. The types of dictionaries are classified. It is suggested to categorize general dictionaries of philosophy; dictionaries of a discourse, subject or direction; philosophical dictionaries by historical period; philosopher dictionaries; internet encyclopedias of philosophy and others. The focus is on dictionaries of personalities. The approaches to solve the problem of lexical choice are described in two directions: firstly, qualitative and quantitative techniques of dictionary audience are mentioned; secondly, the variants of special lexical choice are shown. The specific philosophical dictionary components are shown by the example of history of philosophy dictionaries (mainly in such components as contents, preface, introduction, user’s guides, encyclopedic section and bibliography). The function of dictionary criticism is revealed. It is shown, that dictionary criticism in philosophy exists not only in the form of dictionary critics, but also on the form of the negative attitude to a dictionary as a form of philosophical work. This type of critic is based on the idea that philosophy don’t have to duplicate philosophy itself.
Keywords: dictionary, lexicography, philosophical lexicon, metalexicography.
1. Ariew R., Des Chene D., Jesseph D., Schmaltz T., Verbeek T. 2015. Historical Dictionary of Descartes and Cartesian Philosophy. 2nd ed. Lanham; Boulder; New York; Toronto; Plymouth: Rowman and Littlefiled.
2. Atkins B. and Rundell M. The Oxford Guide to Practical Lexicography. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
3. Audi R., ed. The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
4. Blackburn S. The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016.
5. Brown S., Collinson D. and Wilkinson R. Biographical Dictionary of Twentieth-Century Philosophers. Abingdon: Routledge, 2002.
6. Brown S. and Flores J. 2007. Historical Dictionary of Medieval Philosophy and Theology. Lanham; Toronto; Plymouth: Scarecrow Press.
7. Cottingham J. A Descartes Dictionary. Oxford: Blackwell Reference, 1993.
8. Dennet D. and Steglich-Petersen A. The Philosophical Lexicon. Accessed January 10, 2017. http://www.philosophicallexicon.com.
9. Gardner C. Historical Dictionary of Feminist Philosophy. Lanham; Toronto; Oxford: Scarecrow Press, 2006.
10. Hartmann R. and James G. Dictionary of Lexicography. Abingdon: Routledge, 2002.
11. Jackson H., ed. The Bloomsbury Companion to Lexicography. London; New Delhi; New York; Sydney: Bloomsbury, 2013.
12. Larouelle F. Dictionary of Non-Philosophy. Minneapolis: Univocal Publishing, 2013.
13. Berngelholz H. and Tarp S., ed. Manual of Specialized Lexicography. The Preparation of Specialized Dictionary. Amsterdam; Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company, 1995.
14. Merrill K. Historical Dictionary of Hume’s Philosophy. Lanham; Toronto; Plymouth: Scarecrow Press, 2008.
15. Morris C. Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology. Oxford: Academic Press, 1992.
16. Preus A. Historical Dictionary of Ancient Greek Philosophy. Lanham; Toronto; Plymouth: Scarecrow Press, 2007.
17. Protevi J., ed. The Edinburgh Dictionary of Continental Philosophy. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2005.
18. Sandywell B. Dictionary of Visual Terms. A Dialectical Lexicon of Terms. Surrey: Ashgate, 2009.
19. Sergeant Ph. "Lexicography as a philosophy of language". Language Sciences, 2011. - 33 (1): 1-10.
20. Shangxing G. A Chinese-English Dictionary of Chinese Philosophy. Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press, 2010.
21. Smith K. The Descartes Dictionary. London; New Delhi; New York; Sydney: Bloomsbury, 2015
Corresponding author: Halyna Ilina
Copyright © 2017 Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv University Publishing